Customizing the Ribbon - the long way around
For project managers / scheduler’s who are just becoming familiar with Microsoft® Project let’s take the more traditional path.
Click on the Ribbon File tab and then click Options.
From the Project Options dialog box click on the Customize Ribbon Option.
Customizing the Ribbon
Customize the ribbon to make it the way that works better for the project manager / schedule. By changing the default tabs, create custom tabs and custom groups to contain frequently used commands.
To customize the ribbon; it will help to be familiar with the Choose commands from list. The following is the list that the project manager / scheduler can choose commands from.
Choose commands from: list
1) Popular Commands - displays by default and contains some of the most frequently used commands in Microsoft® Project 2010.
2) Commands Not in the Ribbon - shows the commands that are not already in a tab and group on the ribbon. If the project manager / scheduler are not sure what list to use, use the All Commands list, as this list shows all commands available in Microsoft® Project 2010.
3) Macros - shows the macros that are available to be used and add to the ribbon.
4) File Tab (or Backstage view) - shows the commands that are available on the Microsoft® Project 2010.
5) All Tabs - shows the tabs that are installed with, or built-into Microsoft® Project 2010.
Main Tabs - shows the tabs that are installed with Microsoft® Project
7) Tool Tabs – Tool commands that come with Microsoft® Project 2010 and their formats.
8) Custom Tabs and Groups - show tabs and groups created to customize the ribbon.
What can be changed in a default tab?
A default tab is one of the tabs installed with Microsoft Project 2010. Understanding what can be done with default tabs is needed in the first step in Ribbon customization.
Things that can be performed:
- Adding a custom group, and then adding commands to that custom group.
- Renaming a default tab or group.
- Changing the order of the tabs and groups.
- Hiding a tab.
- Switching back to use the default tabs and groups.
Things that cannot be performed:
- Adding commands to a default tab.
- Adding commands to a default group.
- Changing the icon assigned to a default tab or group that is visible when resizing the ribbon.